Siphoning can't work to overcome elevations of over 33'.  Shattering
non-porous rocks with explosives, and blasting submarine channels or surface
canals, may instead be appealing to allow direct flow.
The soviets investigated using nuclear weapons to carry out civil
engineering projects needing wide channels.

The issue of salinity is not as cut-and-dried as it might appear.  There is
a potential for mixing of salt should saline and fresh waters come into
contact.  This may happen by physical flow only, or assisted by osmosis - as
fresh water is drawn into salty rocks.