Hello All,

I think this is an interesting and seemingly authoritative observational study,
with some so far limited modelling support.It will be valuable to ascertain
whether the findings - at the moment limited to low clouds over the NE Pacific
- are reproduced globally, and confirmed in other models..

If we assume that they are, it is pertinent to ask what the implications are
vis-a-vis solar radiation management geoengineering  schemes. If, as with our
cloud albedo enhancement scheme, the idea is - as far as possible - to
stabilise the Earth's average surface temperature, probably at current values,
by varying the cooling in concert with the warming, the cloud cover /
temperature positive feedback relationship would not come in to play. If, for
any reason, we wished to produce an overall smallish  cooling - for example to
cool ocean waters in order to try to reduce the energy of hurricanes that
subsequently form in those regions - the positive feedback should reinforce the
geo-engineered cooling.

So Steve should not sigh too deeply.

All Best,   John.

--
John Latham

lat...@ucar.edu   &    john.latha...@manchester.ac.uk

Tel. 303-444-2429 (H)    &  303-497-8182 (W)