Alvia

Let me emphasize John's point about keeping her steady as she goes.

I think that any dimethyl sulphide in sea water will get through the
spray system and go up along with the salt residues to do its stuff with
clouds. The size range should be ideal for transport by turbulence so
that a higher fraction will be lofted than the water from breaking
waves, much of which falls back rapidly.  But given that figure 5 of the
wave sink paper shows that such a large fraction of the oceans is empty
of phytoplankton, will there by any dimethyl sulphide to spray?

This engineer needs help from marine biologists.

Stephen

Emeritus Professor of Engineering Design
School of Engineering and Electronics
University of Edinburgh
Mayfield Road
Edinburgh EH9 3JL
Scotland
tel +44 131 650 5704
fax +44 131 650 5702
Mobile  07795 203 195
s.sal...@ed.ac.uk
http://www.see.ed.ac.uk/~shs

John Latham wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I think this is an interesting and seemingly authoritative
> observational study, with some so far limited modelling support.It
> will be valuable to ascertain whether the findings - at the moment
> limited to low clouds over the NE Pacific - are reproduced globally,
> and confirmed in other models..
>
> If we assume that they are, it is pertinent to ask what the
> implications are vis-a-vis solar radiation management geoengineering
> schemes. If, as with our cloud albedo enhancement scheme, the idea is
> - as far as possible - to stabilise the Earth's average surface
> temperature, probably at current values, by varying the cooling in
> concert with the warming, the cloud cover / temperature positive
> feedback relationship would not come in to play. If, for any reason,
> we wished to produce an overall smallish  cooling - for example to
> cool ocean waters in order to try to reduce the energy of hurricanes
> that subsequently form in those regions - the positive feedback should
> reinforce the geo-engineered cooling.
>
> So Steve should not sigh too deeply.
>
> All Best,   John.
>

> Quoting Alvia Gaskill <agask...@nc.rr.com>:
>

> > From reading the paper, it seems that the reason for less clouds
> with higher
> > SST due to CO2 forcing is due in part to a much quieter ocean, i.e.,
> less
> > wind and less waves.  The way that CCN from DMS from marine bacteria and
> > salt particles get into the atmosphere is in part due to breaking of
> waves.
> > If you heat the water gently, without disturbing it, you may get
> more water
> > vapor into the atmosphere, but without the accompanying CCN.  Better put
> > some big assed propellers on those cloud boats, Salter as your
> mission may
> > have just been expanded.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.