Dear Andy,

However the effects of volcanic eruptions on the monsoon are not
equivocal, and they are the best natural analog we have for SRM:

Trenberth, K. E.& Dai, A. 2007 Effects of Mount Pinatubo volcanic
eruption on the hydrological cycle as an analog of geoengineering.
Geophys. Res. Lett. 34, L15702. (doi:10.1029/2007GL030524)

http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2007/2007GL030524.shtml

Oman, Luke, Alan Robock, Georgiy L. Stenchikov, and Thorvaldur
Thordarson, 2006:  High-latitude eruptions cast shadow over the African
monsoon and the flow of the Nile.  Geophys. Res. Lett., 33, L18711,
doi:10.1029/2006GL027665.

http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pdf/OmanLakiNile2006GL027665.pdf

and they validate our geoengineering calculations:

Robock, Alan, Luke Oman, and Georgiy Stenchikov, 2008:  Regional climate
Geophys. Res., 113, D16101, doi:10.1029/2008JD010050.

http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pdf/2008JD010050small.pdf

But this is just one model, so we are trying to organize standard
experiments by the IPCC AR5 models, with all of them doing the same
study, so we can see if the results are robust.

Alan

Alan Robock, Professor II
   Director, Meteorology Undergraduate Program
   Associate Director, Center for Environmental Prediction
Department of Environmental Sciences        Phone: +1-732-932-9800 x6222
Rutgers University                                  Fax: +1-732-932-8644
14 College Farm Road                   E-mail: rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551  USA      http://envsci.rutgers.edu/~robock