On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Peter Read <pre...@attglobal.net> wrote:

> We are trying to understand the relationship between a variety of SRM and
> CDR technologies to see if we can find a way to cool the earth [...] without
> threatening critical regional patterns such as tropical monsoons.  Any
> thoughts ?

Peter, this problem is one of unintended consequences. It seems to me only
fair that we should not attempt to address it using solutions whose
consequences we cannot fully understand or predict.
SRM appears to me to be fraught with impossible risks particularly with
regards to its impact on rainfall patterns (perhaps there are even greater
risks, I don't know).

Second, SRM does nothing about ocean acidification so it's a half solution
at best even if it works as intended and without adverse consequences.
CDR, on the other hand -- carbon scrubbers in particular -- appear to me
inherently superior as it addresses the root cause of this problem. The only
unresolved issue here is what to do with the captured carbon. It's not a
small problem but it can be addressed.

Since we have limited time, limited resources and limited budget, should we
not focus on solutions that are promising rather than those that are
inherently risky? Is it even possible to eradicate all the uncertainties
related with SRM in the next decade or two?

Thanks,
Manu