How easy would it be for geoengineering experiments or operations to
be stopped?  I guess you could sink Stephen's boats (or just sell them
for scrap), but what about the sulfur engineering techniques?  Unless
you were willing to actually invade a country, then I assume that it
would be very hard to stop a country doing sulfur aerosol projects.

That's quite an interesting situation, because it means that
nations/firms/individuals can cool the planet, and whoever has the
will and the money to keep cooling last gets to choose the
temperature.  We're going to auction off the global temperature to the
lowest bidder.  This 'lowest bidder' will have to pay much less than
anyone else, because the hard work will already have been done.  All
they're paying for is the difference between their chosen temperature
and the next-lowest temperature.

That's kinda like an auction where you can bid $2200 for a car, and if
someone's previously bid $2000, then you only have to pay $200 to
close the deal and buy the car.  That's a very strange auction.

Do we really want every crackpot and selfish nation to have the right
to move the thermostat - but only one way?  What could be done to stop
it?  If you look at the situation in the Russian Arctic alone, you can
clearly see that there's a lot of money at stake here, so there may
well be a few small wars over this.  Countries have fought over much
less.  The one thing we can be fairly sure of is that the madcap
lowest bidder won't be caring too much about anyone else's opinion of
what the temperature should be.