Fantastic questions! Wow!. In effect geoengineering becomes an economic
weapon and potentially a weapon of war.

For sure climate zones are moving and will continue to move northward
naturally but somewhat accelerated by CO2 emissions; and if global warming
continues Russia and Canada will profit greatly, the U.S. weather might
become somewhat tropical and possibly its desserts will enlarge as will be
true of northern Africa and Australia.

However, geoengineering can be used for cooling or warming. Warming is easy,
just do nothing or release sequestered CO2. Cooling? It remains to be seen
how much and at what risk. But have no fear geoengineers will develop
useful, safe, cooling strategies. Since both options will exist and can be
implemented unilaterally I suspect we won't see 'geoengineering wars at 50
paces' We may see wars of words and escalated noise from the UN but not
wars. I simply point out that Russia and the U.S. hold the nuclear trump
cards and won't attack one another. Countries like N. Korea and eventually
Iran represent nuisances, will negotiate to gain concessions, but will never
openly use such weapons. They may allow terrorists to borrow them to destroy
or badly damage some country but they won't put themselves at risk. Nuclear
weapons may enter the climate equation but I seriously doubt that
geoengineering can or would become a weapon.

Sounds like a great topic for a Revkin Dot Earth Post.

-gene