On methane limitation, remember that human sources have elevated the methane
concentration to near 1800 ppb from its preindustrial value of about 1000
ppb less, so there is potentially a lot that can be done to bring the
elevated methane concentration back down, and it would have a very large
climatic influence. As far as human sources, in the US the EPA inventory
gives, as I recall, roughly the following source categories:

1. About 25-30% from fossil fuels‹and if we are going to phase these out, we
should be able to get this down a good deal;
2. Another 25-30% from landfills and sewage treatment, etc.--and we know how
to reduce these emissions
3. Something like 30-35% from agriculture‹and these can be partly
controlled. In fact there are already efforts underway to suck in and
separate the methane out in cattle feeding lots in California (and this can
be done in barns as well) and use the methane for power (right now through
combustion engines that emit NOx which troubles air pollution district
officials) but perhaps soon into fuel cells.

Other nations have different mixes, but also a lot of opportunities to
reduce methane and we should do all that we can‹and whatever we can do will
help keep temperatures down so help to slow the increase in emissions from
thawing permafrost.

Related to this, we also need to aggressively reduce emissions of black
carbon and precursors to tropospheric ozone because those as well will bring
down atmospheric concentrations forcing noticeably and quickly. In fact, the
21st century emissions of CO2 provide only about half of the 21st century
warming influence of the emissions of all GHGs (i.e., methane and
tropospheric ozone are the other most critical ones‹then halocarbons and
N2O), so we simply must go after all GHGs aggressively.

Limiting Arctic warming would help keep natural emissions from going up, but
with humans causing an increase of about 1000 ppb, there is plenty of
potential to do better.

Mike