Hi

I'm aware of the limitations of crop waste as a fuel, but there are already
moves afoot to engineer processes which convert poor quality biomass to high
quality fuels. For one example of a solution to the 30pc problem, see
newscientist.com/mobile/article/dn11364-hydrogen-injection-could-boost-biofuel-production.html

Despite the drawbacks of biomass as a fuel, there is still a large and
expanding agro fuel industry.

Ultimately, it seems likely that biomass energy with carbon capture and
storage will prove more desirable than disposal of the unburned material,
even if additional fuel improvement technology is needed to make this
viable.

Further, the difference between CROPS and biochar appears to be the absence
of transport cost and the soil improvement benefit of the latter.

I'm afraid that, whilst the CROPS scheme seems possible, closer scrutiny of
the economics suggests that the case is far from watertight, even if the
serious legal issues can be resolved.  Other suggested solutions still
appear far superior to my mind.