From: Alvia Gaskill [mailto:agask...@nc.rr.com]
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 12:10 PM
To: Stuart Strand; z...@atmos.umd.edu; geoengineering;
climateintervent...@googlegroups.com
Cc: xbenf...@aol.com
Subject: Re: [clim] Re: [geo] Carbon sequestration workshop Sep 9-10, Heinz
Center, Washington DC

I think there is some confusion about the term "ventilation rate" as it is
used here.  The work that apparently forms the basis for the 250-year
ventilation rate for the GOM discusses it in terms of how long the deep
water in the Gulf stays there before being carried back out into the
Caribbean Sea.  If you look at Figure 15 from the linked reference, it shows
that the deepest water exits over the Yucatan Sill at 2040 meters.  What
happens to it after that is unclear.  The ventilation rate referred to here
is how long it takes the water to make it out of the Gulf, not how long it
would take CO2 from decomposing bales of crop waste to re-enter the
atmosphere.  The relatively high oxygen levels at the bottom, around 5 mg/L
could accelerate oxidation of the waste, but over long periods of time it
would probably become buried in sediment and would be in an anoxic
environment, also limiting any transport of CO2 to the surface.  So I would
encourage you to research this a little more before giving up on the Gulf of
Mexico.

http://oceanografia.cicese.mx/personal/jochoa/PDFS/Rivas_etal_JPO_2005.pdf