Thanks for the response Ron.  I am happy to see that we are in agreement about
many or most points.

My characterization of the motives of biochar researchers is poorly informed,
so I accept your statement that C sequestration is first priority for workers
in your camp.  But it still seems to me that most articles promoting biochar
have spent more time developing the soil quality and fertility benefits than on
the C sequestration benefits, which are good points in favor of biochar, but do
not suggest a focus on sequestration.

When you say that crop residues will be transported from highly productive
lands to less productive lands in developing countries are you referring to
intercontinental transport, from temperate regions to tropical?  If not, are
there sufficient highly productive agricultural lands in developing countries
to supply biochar to the poorer soils?  (developing countries is not a good
description of what I mean; which is countries whose agriculture is dominated
by poor, low yield soils, primarily tropical, high temperature soils, e.g.,
oxisols, aka ferralsols).

>From what you say about the need for about half of the biochar for high
>temperature soils to come from forest lands, I think that you agree that
>harvesting woody materials from local forests in the tropics is a very
>important source of biomass for this application of biochar sequestration
>technology on a large scale.  This is why I emphasized management in
>discussing responsible biochar implementation in tropical systems.  Without
>cautious management the large-scale conversion of these forests to
>anthropogenic use would have significant potential of ecological harm.  Am I
>wrong?

A quibble:  Me thinks a 50% increase in agricultural yields _is_ a “much
higher” increase.

You imply that some researchers are applying biochar with no-till.  References
please.

Finally, I goofed in stating a saturation level for biochar of 50 kg/ha. Mea
culpa, I meant 50 Mg biochar C/ha (only off by 1000x!).  My reference for this
rate is Chan et al., Australian Jour. Soil Research 2007, 45:629.  I should
have checked before pressing send. So my point is that biomass harvested from
maize cultivation, used to produce biochar (10Mg aboveground CR produced /ha,

 If biochar can be added to soil without tilling, and the higher CR removal
rates (i.e., 60%) implemented any soil receiving biochar, then saturation at 50
t biochar C/ha could be achieved in about 25 yr, after which 60% of above
ground crop residues could continue to be harvested and be used for other
purposes, such as burial or energy production or export to the tropics,
potentially without negatively impacting fertility in the modified temperate
soil.

  = Stuart =

Stuart E. Strand
490 Ben Hall IDR Bldg.