Hi All -

Forgive me for joining in - I am a newcomer on this list.

Georges Canguilhem, who analyzed the French medical sciences, argued that
the objectivity of medicine in fact requires its normative component.
Research is not only motivated by goals like curing disease, but is
organized toward those aims in all its detail. He shows that the positive
agenda of a non-normative physiology, which sought to build up an
understanding of normal functions in their totality, remained an allusive
dream. But for Canguilhem this normative dimension hardly undermines
medicine's claim to objectivity - on the contrary. The science of the normal
body needs pathology in order to exist.

It strikes me that ecological sciences also have an undeniable clinical
aspect, at least in a great many research contexts. It is not only that we
are motivated by goals of repairing the earth - or even just making
policy-relevant conclusions - but that the research is actually organized by
the goals, as Ken points out. The normative dimension is inescapable, but
this doesn't mean the methodological basis of research isn't robust. Like
medicine, climate science implies intervention, and our understanding of
climate would be hardly as developed were it not so. As David points out,
that rigor implies separation of prescription and description, but the
description isn't necessarily value free since a human problem helped it
into existence.

Incidentally, Canguilhem attributed this polarized condition of normative
judgment as an essential element of life itself. Living bodies inherently
are involved in polarized judgments - inside versus outside, self versus
pathogen, up versus down, pain versus pleasure. If life is this normative
activity, it means that disease is not a strictly objective condition (say,
loss of functionality), but also a 'subjective' judgment about that
condition (that the loss of function is bad). This also helps clarify why
people use medical sciences to manipulate their bodies in unconventional
ways (reproductive health, augmentation, performance enhancing drugs). Of
course these sciences are also organized around normative goals, and poses a
question about the boundary between science and technology. Hence the
observation also raises parallels with geoengineering and the many anxieties
surrounding it.

Regards,
Jerome Whitington
Dartmouth College / NUS