List, Andrew, John , David , Ken

Andrew - I have re-read the paper you have cited below and decided to try to
put the numbers there into the context of the paper by Dr. David Wasdell that
you alerted us to on the 20th - which I also. found fascinating. For others, I
am referring to a large body of work on climate feedbacks that can be found at
http://www.apollo-gaia.org/. The specfic one of most pertinence to this
discussion and comparison to the Davis-Caldeira Science article (that you cite
below) is at:

http://www.apollo-gaia.org/Climate%20Sensitivity.pdf

Using the numbers from the recent (Science-Davis-Caldeira) cite, I find (from
the right hand sides of their figure 1 C (for ppm CO2) and figure 1d - for
temperature rise, presumably above the 280 ppm level), those three points fall
slightly below the straight line that Dr. Wasdell terms the "Charney
sensitivity". Dr. Hansen would be about 2.5 times higher in predicted
temperature and Dr. Wasdell about 3 times higher (both including positive
feedbacks that I believe all would agree are not included in the Davis-Caldeira
pape)r.

This is not meant to be a criticism of theDavis Caldeira paper - as they
clearly stated which model they were employing to come to their conclusions -
and there are many valuable conclusions there. But I do think it important in
the current discussion (see the thread title) on Hansen to point out this
factor of 2.5 - which (by Dr.Wasdell) could be a factor of 3. Everyone seems
convinced that the current breed of models is leaving out a lot - and
apparently mostly of the positive freedback character. I don't believe that
message is being heard at all clearly by the general population (which is what
Andrew is betting his $100 on).

For those who have not read the Wasdell analysis, his higher curve is justified
by experimental (not theoretical) results attributed to three publications of
other investigators besides Dr. Hansen - namely (in shorthand) Engelbeen
(Vostok), Pagani (Paleo), and Kiehl (100 Ma history). They together validate
(amazingly closely) his climate senstivity proposal of 7.8 degrees at 560 ppm
(doubling). Davis-Caldeira are at about 2.5; Hansen at 6 degrees.

Also need to point out that Dr. Hansen sees about a 50 ppm drop from
"geoengineering" only with 100 Gt C of new forests -which can be amplified a
good bit when combined with Biochar.

I include John Nissen as a cc - as this "Wasdell" approach strongly supports
his proposal to move faster generally because of the positive feedback that is
surely not being considered in the Davis-Caldeira model - but is so apparent
already in the Arctic. ANd is the reason for this thread.

I hope someone closer to this than myself can explain how slow the missing
feedbacks might be - and why. From what I have read there have been some pretty
dramatic quick "flips" in the past.

Ron