Toby,

I'd like to focus on your third case, in which you argue that
stratospheric aerosol injections would violate principles of
procedural justice if pursued unilaterally.  As you frame it, ANY
unilateral action at the international level would violate principles
of procedural justice, since non-citizens of the acting state either
(a) would not have taken part in the decision process (Rawls), or (b)
would not be able to appeal that action (Daniels and Sabin).  The US
could decide to drop manna from the sky over the entire world, and by
definition this would be unilateral and hence unjust.  The real
culprit, in this instance, is unilateralism rather than climate
engineering.

Earlier this year I had an article published titled "Geoengineering
and the Myth of Unilateralism" (available free at
http://www.stanford.edu/group/sjlsp/cgi-bin/users_images/pdfs/61_Horton%20Final.pdf).
As the title suggests, I am deeply skeptical of the threat of
unilateral stratospheric aerosol injections (SAI), as summarized in
the following extract from the article:

the incentive structure faced by a state interested in implementing
SAI would
strongly discourage unilateral postures that dismissed the need for
international agreement and
coordination. Any country considering unilateral deployment would find
itself tangled in a web
of technical and political constraints and steered toward reaching
some form of global consensus.
Individual incentives may be inadequate to deter unilateralism on
their own, but their collective
weight is likely to tilt the playing field decisively in favor of
multilateral cooperation. For
instance, Country B may be sufficiently motivated to accept the costs
associated with the
termination problem and dispense with efforts to synchronize emissions
mitigation policies. But
once deployed, a large number of international actors would
effectively exercise joint control
over any injection system, frustrating any attempt by Country B to
pursue a coherent SAI policy
managed solely by its national government. Furthermore, any actor
opposed to the project could
easily (and anonymously) counter its effects using relatively simple
means such as release of
black carbon, thereby neutralizing the entire scheme. For Country B,
the costs of unilateral SAI
would exceed the benefits, due to the technical limitations inherent
in unilateral deployment of
such technology, and as a consequence, interest in SAI would require a
multilateral approach.
The net result is that states are unlikely to view unilateral
deployment as a sound, effective
policy option.

If unilateralism is the real problem, and unilateralism is unlikely in
the case of stratospheric aerosols, then this form of climate
engineering is much less problematic than you contend, at least from
the procedural justice point of view.

Josh Horton
joshuahorton...@gmail.com
http://geoengineeringpolitics.blogspot.com/