Hi, Josh –

I think one is seeing what you’d expect to be able to see: rather
large perturbations from background levels right around large plumes,
by as much as ~100ppb, I believe, and then progressively smaller
deviations from background when considering larger regions, with the
whole arctic sea quite dependably read by NCAR’s HIPPO as now having a
(small) unexpected elevation from annually averaged background level
(already a couple of years old now, I believe). Although it's a well-
mixed & "LL" GHG, it's never going to be a simple story getting good
readings of levels everywhere, and getting changed readings from
identical locations as you suggest, while of interest, wouldn't
necessarily tell you what you want, either, since different taliks
could be emitting at different rates sporadically, I believe, meaning
the point emergences of densest emissions could be a shifting target.

In general, I think that depending too much upon top-down views of
this situation could, potentially, lead to dangerously false
conclusions, and that feeling complacency because of the smallness of
the deviation over larger areas is possibly unwise. Let me jump to
something seemingly unrelated to try to demonstrate what I have in
mind: you know Lovelock’s metaphor of the earth being something like a
camel (i.e., seeing the pleistocene swings as 'bi-modality'), or his
simple model in which sensitivity can act 'more like a variable than a
constant'? Imagine for a moment that methane acts as the primary near-
term gear-shifter of climate at multiple scales/levels, not just as a
follower of CO2, nor as the occasional “gun” that randomly goes off
and blasts away the current climate system. So, as the 'gear-shifter',
at certain thresholds of heating, wetlands start drying at certain
latitudes, with the drying outpacing increased rainfall elsewhere,
thus lowering emissions on balance, while at the same time submarine
hydrates would begin to destabilize, and some permafrost and
thermokarst emissions would start to pick up, etc. Together these
changes of opposite sign, balancing themselves out, would create a
false temporary stasis, although an important shifting of regime is
going on.

It’s fine to say that most emissions are still coming now from the
subtropics (i.e., Nisbet's quote), but might there be an invisible
shifting of different methane emission sources WITHIN the arctic
system going on that we haven’t pieced out, making something look like
stasis or a lull, or finally now just a minor perturbation upwards,
that is actually the system’s quiet preparation for a giant shift?
Think of all the mystery about methane emissions in the 1990s going
‘flat’: probably wetlands go down, generally, but are gradually
replaced by other methane emissions from much larger stores. This kind
of thing would make total system behavior look something like what
Lovelock is talking about.

Perhaps none of that is actually what’s going on, but it gives a
scenario, anyhow, in which a top-down view of the total global methane
budget, or even of the total arctic methane budget, wouldn’t alone
necessarily be a useful indicator at all of the seriousness of what is
going on. It certainly is indisputable that hydrate release could
become devastating, and the leading experts keep finding larger and
larger plumes as they keep looking - simply put, if those are caused
by the contemporary local conditions, then that's a feedback loop, and
then their increase constitutes grounds for considering it the
beginnings of a potential runaway situation.

The kind of thing I was proposing could hardly create some
"frankenclimate," and is no different than what is allowed to go on
all over the planet all the time. Since it is relatively harmless, and
the fear is of something catastrophic, it seems like an obvious sense
of prudence to act - and sooner rather than later.

Nathan