And... this 2-4 month lifetime is very altitude and latitude dependent.

We can run some sims with the AER 2D an look but my guess from what we have
done is that you could make choices that would push this up a bit.

David

From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com [mailto:geoengineering@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Alan Robock
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 10:03 AM
To: mmacc...@comcast.net
Cc: Stephen Salter; Ken Caldeira; Andrew Lockley; Geoengineering;
j.e.kristjans...@geo.uio.no
Subject: Re: [geo] Source on SRM causing warming

Dear Mike,

I don't know how you do this 6 to 1 calculation.  We found that the e-folding
time for stratospheric aerosols in the Arctic s 2-4 months, with 4 months in
the summer, the relevant time.  (see
http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pdf/2008JD010050small.pdf )  If we compare
this to the lifetime of tropospheric aerosols, on week, and add a week to the 4
months for their tropospheric time, the ratio is 130 days to 7 days, which is
19 to 1, not 6 to 1.  Furthermore, the health effects of additional
tropospheric pollution are not acceptable, in my opinion.

Alan

[On sabbatical for current academic year.  The best way to contact me

is by email, rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu<mailto:rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu>, or at
732-881-1610 (cell).]

Alan Robock, Professor II (Distinguished Professor)

  Editor, Reviews of Geophysics

  Director, Meteorology Undergraduate Program

  Associate Director, Center for Environmental Prediction

Department of Environmental Sciences        Phone: +1-732-932-9800 x6222

Rutgers University                                  Fax: +1-732-932-8644

14 College Farm Road                   E-mail:
rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu<mailto:rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu>

New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551  USA      http://envsci.rutgers.edu/~robock