Dear Nathan,

 I will refrain from commenting on the bulk of your email. But I would like
to ask you to reflect on the paragraph referring to the precautionary
aspect.

The narrative of Carl Sagan helping to end the Cold War undersells the
complex sway of history -- the intersecting circumstances, actions and
events -- that facilitated a change in course. The contrasting narratives
of "impending catastrophe" or "infinite resilience" reflect a similar need
to simplify. They capture neither human ingenuity nor its biophysical
limits.

Regarding your take on the possible "cooking of the books" by Sagan, one
could just as well speculate that it dented the credibility of the
scientific community for decades to come. That it has made encouraging
action difficult despite apparently incontrovertible evidence. Knowledge
endows scientists with a unique privilege (and I dare say power) -- but it
still does not confer divinity on them.

Sincerely,

Ninad

Ninad R. Bondre, Ph.D.   |  Science Editor

International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (IGBP)
The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Box 50005, SE 104-05 Stockholm,
Sweden
www.igbp.net