Lovelock was interviewed
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2010/mar/29/james-lovelock>for
The Guardian and provided this description of Garth Paltridge, one of the
two people who most influenced him as he changed his mind about climate
science:

"There is one sceptic that everyone should read and that is Garth
Paltridge. He's written a book called *The Climate Caper*. It is a
devastating, critical book. It is so good. This impresses me a lot."
(full interview transcript
here<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2010/mar/29/james-lovelock>
)

For those who haven't acquainted themselves with the views of Garth
Paltridge, it happens that the Foreword, Paltridge's Introduction, Overview
and a few pages from Chapter 2, i.e. a total of 25 pages from *The Climate
Caper, *are online hosted by Google Books
here<http://books.google.com/books?id=XYK_mrKg1V4C&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false>.

Caution: *Lord Monckton himself* wrote the Foreword.

A few quotes from the Paltridge book, from what is available online:

On the IPCC:  "A colleague of mine put it rather well.  The IPCC, he said,
has developed a highly successful immune system.  Its climate scientists
have become the equivalent of white blood cells that rush in overwhelming
numbers to repel infection by ideas and results which do not support the
basic thesis that global warming is perhaps the greatest of the modern
threats to mankind".

On climate science:  "...give or take a religion or two, never has quite so
much rubbish been espoused by so many on so little evidence".

On Mann et.al.:  "the hockey stick reconstruction of past climate is indeed
fairly close to being nonsense".

In general:  "The whole business has hardened over the last decade or so
into a semi-religious crusade in which climate scientists have developed an
arrogance about their aims and activity which brooks no argument either
with their interpretation of the science or with the way in which the
science is used.  To achieve their ends, they are drawing heavily on the
capital of scientific reputation that has been so painfully assembled over
hundreds of years."

Stewart Brand (of *Whole Earth Catalog* fame) happened to be in
communication with Lovelock during the time Lovelock formed his new views.

Brand is an old friend of Lovelock's dating back to 1974 when Brand, as
editor of CoEvolution Quarterly magazine.  He says he was the first to
publish Lovelock's* GAIA hypothesis*.  Brand, about half way into this
online article <http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/brand10/brand10_index.html>,
confirms the importance of Paltridge to Lovelock and identifies that there
was one other major influence.  Brand:

"James Lovelock...  has softened his sense of alarm about the pace of
climate change. He is persuaded by 'sensible skeptic' Garth Paltridge's
book The Climate Caper (2009) that climate scientists have become overly
politicized, and a paper in *Science* by Kevin Trenberth"

Brand quotes Lovelock from personal correspondence:  "Apart from a few
friends... my name is now mud in climate science circles for having dared
to consort with sceptics.  Amazing how tribal scientists are."

Trenberth's Perspectives piece in Science that Lovelock misunderstood is
here<http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cas/Trenberth/trenberth.papers/T_SciencePerspectiveApril10.pdf

in Science>

Trenberth's has this to say about Lovelock's understanding of climate
science:  "The fact is he knows little or nothing about climate change."
(quote taken from this
article<http://www.livescience.com/19875-gaia-lovelock-climate-change.html>
)

I'm not sure an appeal to Lovelock's reasoning power is going to be that
helpful at this stage....