 Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 07:48:35 -0700
From: rtulip2...@yahoo.com.au
Subject: Re: [geo] Geoengineering and Climate Management: From Marginality to
Inevitablity by Jay Michaelson :: SSRN
To: andrew.lock...@gmail.com; geoengineering@googlegroups.com

This paper deserves discussion.  Here are some quotes from it that I found
particularly salient.
Robert Tulip

Jay Michaelson - Tulsa Law Review GEOENGINEERING AND CLIMATE MANAGEMENT: FROM
MARGINALITY TO INEVITABILITY

1. Climate Management (CM) (Geoengineering) is a climate change strategy that,
unlike regulation, might actually stand a chance of becoming
 reality.
2.      despite rises in temperatures, a high-grossing documentary film by a
Nobel laureate, visible changes in glaciers and ice shelves, and widespread
understanding of the climate crisis in Europe, … the view [exists] that climate
change is either not happening, or is part of some natural cycle and
 requires further study. I did not take these claims at their word in 1998, and
I do not do so today. Yet if the pseudo-controversy regarding climate change
proves anything, it is that my earlier article was correct. We should be very
pessimistic about greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction as an effective climate change
policy, because it would so greatly impact some of the largest and most
powerful industrial, commercial, and corporate entities in the country (indeed,
the world).

3.      Climate Management lets the free market be free, uses technology rather
than a restraint on behavior, and avoids government regulation.

4.      not to pursue it, I argue, is to condemn coastal areas, temperate
forests, and thousands of species to extinction. What, exactly, is the price of
our pride?

5.      educating well-meaning consumers to reduce their carbon footprints,
change their light bulbs, and so on--is actually counterproductive…. rhetoric
that all of us are responsible for climate change, and each of us has the power
to make a change, is factually false and politically misleading. Let's be
honest: without coordinated political action, consumers' personal choices are
ineffectual... Every calorie of energy an individual devotes to calculating her
own carbon footprint is a misdirected
 one;

6.      Ocean Iron Fertilisation (OIF) is scarcely different from planting
trees. Trees, too, grow more productively with fertilizers, forest management,
and other forms of human intervention. Yet we do not regard tree farms as
“geoengineering.” Is planting “‘trees” ‘ in the ocean really so different?
Perhaps we do not yet know the precise efficacy of phytoplankton carbon
sequestration but there are complexities regarding afforestation, as well.

7.      Climate Management is not building dams; we are using our limited
knowledge of atmospheric science to either increase the albedo and opacity of
the stratosphere, or create new carbon sinks in the oceans. Geoengineering is
neither geo- nor engineering.

8.      “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,” and it is better
prevent disease than simply manage it or mitigate its effects. Understanding
geoengineering as climate management renders comprehensible its positive and
negative attributes. We are not talking about a fanciful dream of “hacking the
Earth.” We are talking about Plan B, because Plan A seems so expensive that a
few key players remain intent on blocking it.

9.      popular books, endless articles in liberal magazines, and two high-end
documentary films (An Inconvenient Truth and Leonardo DiCaprio's The 11th Hour)
have failed to sufficiently mobilize popular opinion. Although many people
profess to care about global warming, the issue came in dead last in a 2010 Pew
Research Center poll of issues that matter to Americans.

10.   “junk science” is paid for by energy companies - $22 million by
ExxonMobil alone since 1998.

11.   scientific consensus about climate change is settled [FN59]--928
peer-reviewed articles to 0 does not a controversy make.

12.   Gingrich: Instead of imposing an estimated $1 trillion cost on the
economy …, geoengineering holds forth the promise of addressing global warming
concerns for just a few billion dollars a year. Instead of penalizing ordinary
Americans, we would have an option to address global warming by rewarding
scientific innovation.

13.   Caldeira, Wood, and Myrhvold estimate the costs of an Arctic-focused SRM
process to be only $20 million in startup costs and $10 million in annual
operating costs.

14.   none of us would ban treatments for heart disease because they do not
address the “root problem.” Likewise here.

15.   what is really “nuts,” as the old cliché holds, is doing the same thing
as before and expecting a different result. If there is a concern about the
feasibility of a particular project, then more, rather than less, research is
warranted. Doubtless, the Apollo missions to the moon seemed loony at the time,
yet a serious campaign of research and development yielded success. Likewise,
perhaps, with climate management.

16.   the 2007 debacle with the for-profit corporation Planktos, which
attempted, on its own initiative, to conduct limited testing of OIF on the high
seas ...showed that nation states are already quite capable of stopping
unwanted CM experimentation or deployment using existing legal forms.... this
is inconvenient, and infuriating when relatively benign research is prevented
while far more intrusive oceanic pollution goes unchecked,

17.   imagine international meetings to coordinate an effective CM response to
climate change, on the model of the Montreal meeting on ozone depletion and
many others.

18.   a Climate Change Manhattan Project asks on a philosophical level ... to
reevaluate our assumptions about what environmentalism should look like.

19.   Lowell Hood: I'm going to win. It's just written in the stars.
Geoengineering is going to win, because ... People never pay more than they
have to.

20.   for libertarians and conservatives, geoengineering as a concept is to be
embraced enthusiastically.  It is preferable to vast and expensive regulatory
regimes....these are the same ideologies that tend to align with genetic
engineering, pesticide use, and artificially-created “foods”... it is in
harmony with fundamental conservative commitments to market forces, technology,
and anti-government sentiments.  …so long as climate change mitigation can be
said to require
 “intrusive government regulation” and “job-killing carbon taxes” and other
bogeymen ... it will be a very difficult sell.

21.   there is no way to force everyone to live green without harming the
developing world.

22.   COP-15... meaningless “aspirational goal” for 50% GHG reductions by 2050
...  activists pretended that passing a resolution constituted meaningful
action on climate change. None of that, of course, saved the Copenhagen summit
from disaster

23.   grain of truth to the generally conservative sense that our species'
collective know-how can indeed solve very serious problems,

24.   it is the end of wildness--or at least our idea of wildness. It means
consciously admitting that we're living on a managed planet.

25.   Levitt and Stephen Dubner put it, “In just a few centuries, we will have
burned up most of the fossil fuel that took 300 million years of biological
accumulation to make. Compared with that, injecting a bit of sulfur into the
sky seems pretty mild.”

26.   If we look for “what each of us can do to solve the climate crisis,” we
will be looking in the wrong place for solutions…. we need an immediate
commitment to government subsidized research, on the basis of the October 2010
House Science & Technology Committee Report and the September, 2010 GAO Report,
and the 2010 NRC report, each of which listed specific areas for further
research.

27.   we need a shift in mindset among environmentalists, and a healthy dose of
ideological humble pie…. CM has long been too brown for the greens and too
green for the browns. But we are clearly at a tipping point. I have suggested
that CM, for all its flaws, is our best bet for climate sustainability.

28.   Hoping that we can avoid the need for CM is like hoping we can avoid the
need for cars and air conditioners, envisioning some utopian future... it
sacrifices to its ideal eschatological vision the very survival of the
biosphere as we know it today.