It's more likely to be a power law than either linear or exponential, see:-
http://www.cup.cam.ac.uk/sg/knowledge/isbn/item6817926/The-Weather-and-Climate:-Emergent-Laws-and-Multifractal-Cascades/?site_locale=en_SG

The abstract is available on the CUP link above, the book itself will be
available in May.

On 30 January 2013 01:01, David Lewis <jrandomwin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hansen directly addressed the ideas of Richard Alley and Tad Pfeffer in the
> * Appendix* of his 2012 communication "Update of Greenland Ice Sheet Mass
> Loss:
> Exponential?<http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2012/20121226_GreenlandIceSheetUpdate.pdf>"
>  which is an excert from Hansen and Sato 2012 "Paleoclimate Implications
> for human-made climate
> change<http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2011/20110118_MilankovicPaper.pdf>".
>

> Commenting on Richard Alley's 2010 AGU Fall Meeting presentation, i.e. "Ice
> in the Hot Box - What adaptation challenges might we
> face?<http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2010AGUFM.U52A..02A>",
>  Hansen writes that all of Alley's chosen projections "approximated as
> linear".
>
> Hansen says "the fundamental issue is linearity versus non-linearity".
>  Discussing his view of the available data on whether ice sheet melt at the
> moment can be said to be non-linear, he concludes: "it's too early to
> tell".  He adds: "the problem is, by the time the data record is long
> enough to be convincing, it may be exceedingly difficult or impossible to
> prevent sea level rise of many meters"
>
> He discusses Pfeffer et.al. 2008 "Kinematic Constraints on Glacier
> Contributions to 21st-Century Sea-Level
> Rise<http://courses.washington.edu/ess203/RESOURCES/READING/pfeffer_sealevel_science_2008_with_suppl_info.pdf>
> ",
>
> Hansen states "The kinematic constraint may have relevance to the
> Greenland ice sheet, although the assumptions of Pfeffer... are
> questionable even for Greenland."
>
> Hansen notes that BAU emission scenarios "have a positive (warming)
> climate forcing that is increasing at a rate *dwarfing any known forcing*",
> he does not rule out Greenland, and points to Antarctica.  He discusses the
> uncertainties and calls for maintaining the high precision observation now
> under way.
>
> In regard to Pfeffer et.al. 2008, what they wrote in their
> paper<http://courses.washington.edu/ess203/RESOURCES/READING/pfeffer_sealevel_science_2008_with_suppl_info.pdf>about
>  their estimates was that they were "roughly constrained scenarios"
> and that they were "a most likely starting point for refinements in
> sea-level forecasts that include ice flow dynamics".
>

> On Monday, January 28, 2013 2:45:00 AM UTC-8, Oliver Tickell wrote:
>>
>> http://grist.org/climate-**energy/why-greenlands-melting-**
>> could-be-the-biggest-climate-**disaster-of-all/<http://grist.org/climate-energy/why-greenlands-melting-could-be-the-biggest-climate-disaster-of-all/>
>>
>>  --

'ATMOSPHERIC TURBULENCE: A Molecular Dynamics Perspective'.
Oxford University Press, 2008. ISBN 978-0-19-923653-4.
http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780199236534