Andrew,

The scenario in our paper assumes rising concentrations of CO2 in the
atmosphere. So, yes, decisions about mitigation have already been made
before decisions about solar geoengineering, and the implementation of
solar geoengineering does not influence future decisions about how much CO2
to emit.

On the timescales this game is played on, this lack of interplay is
sensible because the climate effects from emissions reductions are so much
slower than the effects of geoengineering.  We assume that at any given
time, geoengineering is the only tool available to increase or decrease
damages from climate change in the coming decade.

The model is actually much more applicable to near-term than far-term
scenarios because, of course, as time goes on past decisions about
geoengineering will have influenced decisions about mitigation, perhaps in
a way that our assumed emissions scenario is no longer realistic enough to
allow us to correctly simulate the basic dynamics of the geoengineering
game.

Your torture analogy is interesting, though it would be difficult to test
any hypotheses you might make based on it in an empirically-based model.
 Such is the tradeoff between models like ours and realism.

Kate