Katherine:

Thanks for the very complete response. Almost nothing left to ask. I have
excised all below except for a few follow-ups.

----- Original Message -----
From: "K.Ricke" <klei...@gmail.com>
To: geoengineering@googlegroups.com
Cc: klei...@gmail.com, "Ken Caldeira" <kcalde...@gmail.com>, "Juan Moreno-Cruz"
<juan.moreno-c...@econ.gatech.edu>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 1:27:41 PM
Subject: Re: [geo] Strategic incentives for climate geoengineering coalitions
to exclude broad participation (new paper)

Dear Ron,

Thanks for your questions. I am going to post some answers below point-by-point
for clarity's sake. I hope these answers help clarify and please feel free to
contact me directly (kri...@carnegiescience.edu) if they don't.

Kate

RWL: Here is my summary of where we stand:

2. OK

3. OK

4. RWL .......... That is - is the "Grand Coalition" curve of Figure 3 also the
origin on the ordinate of Figure 2?
KLR: My paraphrasing you - "No" (but (me) "numerically similar ", and I'd like
to better understand the departures)

5. All parts related to the Supplementary figures now better understood.
Thanks.

6. OK.

7. OK on Grand Coalition looking better.
8. Re applicability to CDR, we agreed not so. But I am not yet ready to agree
with the first part of your final sentence - at least as it applies to biochar.
You said:

"It is slow and expensive ....." Biochar applications thousands of years ago
were taking place in Brazil without subsidy, simply for ag benefits. Much
similar is happening around the world today in small test plots. Speed will
depend on our global sense of urgency.

9. OK on ignoring costs. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the
recommended McClellan article was NOT behind a paywall.

McClellan J, Keith D and Apt J 2010 Cost analysis of stratospheric albedo
modification delivery systems Environ. Res. Lett. 7 034019
(Note the "2010" typo in your reference list - should be 2012)

The CDR topic (including biochar) needs similar treatment; biochar is NOT easy
to analyze.
10. Me: .... Might the full set of your output data be available anywhere (now
or later)?

You mostly had a complete response here. Thanks. I visited the
climateprediction.net site and will look up your three cites related to the
paper under discussion. But I think it would also be helpful to also provide
somewhere a table showing all the output data for the twenty-two regions - not
just the (mostly complete) data for the winning coalition. I would hope for all
six analysis years, not just 2070.

Again thanks. I learned a good bit from digging more deeply (such as "Nash b
argaining ") , and especially your very complete responses

Ron