Huber & Sherwood (PNAS 2010) establishes a hard biological limit to
habitability under warming.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/04/26/0913352107.abstract

An adaptability limit to climate change due to heat stress
Steven C. Sherwooda,1 and Matthew Huberb
Author Affiliations

Abstract
Despite the uncertainty in future climate-change impacts, it is often
assumed that humans would be able to adapt to any possible warming. Here we
argue that heat stress imposes a robust upper limit to such adaptation.
Peak heat stress, quantified by the wet-bulb temperature TW, is
surprisingly similar across diverse climates today. TW never exceeds 31 °C.
Any* exceedence of 35 °C for extended periods should induce hyperthermia in
humans and other mammals, as dissipation of metabolic heat becomes
impossible.* While this never happens now, it would begin to occur with
global-mean warming of about 7 °C, calling the habitability of some regions
into question. With 11–12 °C warming, such regions would spread to
encompass the majority of the human population as currently distributed.
Eventual warmings of 12 °C are possible from fossil fuel burning. One
implication is that recent estimates of the costs of unmitigated climate
change are too low unless the range of possible warming can somehow be
narrowed. Heat stress also may help explain trends in the mammalian fossil
record.

---
Fred Zimmerman
Geoengineering IT!
Bringing together the worlds of geoengineering and information technology
GE NewsFilter: http://geoengineeringIT.net:8080

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM, Ken Caldeira <kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu