Hi All

We let farmers put fertilizer on their fields. Without this we would not have enough food. Some fertilizer drains into the rivers and gets to the sea where we know that too much causes nasty blooms and oxygen reduction. Two wrongs do not make a right but what is the difference between direct and indirect fertilization?

We know that very large amounts of iron are blown by winds for deserts and provide essential nutrients to the marine food chain. It would be useful to know if this can be controlled to advantage and how much would be good.

Stephen Salter

Emeritus Professor of Engineering Design School of Engineering University of Edinburgh Mayfield Road Edinburgh EH9 3JL Scotland s.sal...@ed.ac.uk Tel +44 (0)131 650 5704 Cell 07795 203 195 WWW.see.ed.ac.uk/~shs