A scientific expedition aiming to do ocean fertilization or geoengineering
research would be playing into the hands of types like Paul Watson if they
decided that having weapons on board was a defense.  Watson is looking for
an image the media he is playing to can use - "armed rogue geoengineers
fire upon unarmed protest boat" would be better than anything he ever got
from whalers he was harassing.

Watson's possible target, Russ George, is the same man who not long ago was
proclaiming that his publicly traded company "*expects to have a
cold-fusion heater ready for market as soon as 2007*".  (Look under the
subhead "Cold Fusion" on* this
webpage<http://www.newenergymovement.org/recapsa-cofeii.php?p=recapsa.php>
)*.  This time, the bottle of snake oil that Mr. George is selling may have
an actual ingredient in it, i.e. a large salmon run may indeed show up for
the Haida to harvest in 2014 as a result of the 100 or so tonnes of iron
compounds he talked them into dumping into the ocean last year.  Scientists
would want to be cautious about identifying themselves or their discipline
with anything Mr. George is or is doing, i.e. defending Mr. George on the
basis he is a scientist or that he is doing research unless they had
carefully examined what Mr. George is doing.  He sounds more like a very
flamboyant consultant to would be ocean farmers than anything else.

The senior political leadership of  the Haida, the Hereditary Chiefs
Council, and the Council of the Haida Nation, have distanced themselves
from what one of their village councils is doing with Mr. George.  They
published this
statement<http://www.haidanation.ca/Pages/Splash/Public_Notices/PDF/Joint_Statement.pdf>.

It will be interesting to see if all the fish Mr. George is promising so
confidently actually show up.