From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com [geoengineering@googlegroups.com] on
behalf of Mike MacCracken [mmacc...@comcast.net]
Sent: 17 June 2013 19:27
To: gh...@sbcglobal.net; bstah...@gmail.com; Geoengineering
Subject: Re: [geo] Climate talk shifts from curbing CO2 to adapting

Hi Greg—I share all your concerns.

I would just note that to fit into the three-option analysis of the problem
(mitigation, adaptation, or suffering) used by John Holdren, I count CDR and
the second (for reforestation, etc.) and third (for carbon scrubbing) stages of
mitigation, and SRM as the second (for regional climate engineering—assuming it
is possible) and (for global SRM) third stages of adaptation. I do this because
it seems to me continually overlooked in the discussion of geoengineering that
what is appropriate is not a risk-benefit analysis of geoengineering (of any
type) on its own, but a risk-benefit analysis of global warming with or without
geoengineering.

Mike