I feel impelled to provide a complementary view.  The very concept of
"homogocene" is paradoxically anthropocentric. I feel sorry for the rats,
cane toads, sheep, grasses, mosquitoes, who are "homogenizing" previously
separated biomes. They are simply doing what they are supposed to do:
adapting, spreading out,  thriving.  They are only invasive in our frame of
reference, i.e they are robust, hardy generalists that happen to be
interfering with ecosystem services that we like. The criticism that we are
reshaping the entire biosphere to our needs could just as easily be applied
to other major "order of life" innovations like aerobic bacteria, viruses,
etc.

---
Fred Zimmerman
Geoengineering IT!
Bringing together the worlds of geoengineering and information technology
GE NewsFilter: http://geoengineeringIT.net:8080