Andrew et al.,

Until actual field experience is developed, bio-manipulation, relative to
ebullition fields, does need to be limited to bioreactors and or
capture/harvest systems. Dr. Salter has offered one detailed mechanical
approach to capturing
methane<https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=14057f91d3370df7&mt=application/msword&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui%3D2%26ik%3D05e7756a3b%26view%3Datt%26th%3D14057f91d3370df7%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26zw&sig=AHIEtbRkbn8klGb4j8E5kU2XVh3lw-IVzA>and
 there may be more ideas available in the early concept stage.

This overall subject was debated here about two years ago and, during that
time, I've looked into the many different possible ebullition management
concepts. This work has suggested to me that the following criteria may be
useful. Any management system should have:

* 1: **An ability to actively harvest shallow hydrate deposits before they
dissolve,* is important as this would help manage active ebullition fields
and also help reduce the threat posed by those fields that are close to
breaching their GHSZ. Only those close to, or beyond, their GHSZ need to be
addressed at this early stage. That means going no further down into the
floor than 3-4m.

* *
* 2: **An ability to be operational year round, *is QED.

* 3: **An ability to convert the gas on site (piping is an option if close
to shore), *is important as the winter time operation will make
commercializing the gas, far off shore and year round, problematic. Methane
can be easily used on site to produce ice/cold water with the resulting CO2
used in bioreactors and the BC can be filtered out. Also, the use of the
methane to cultivate bio feedstock via bioreactors for multiple end
products is somewhat better than dumping the biomass on the floor.

* 4: **An ability to easily move about most floor features, actively seek
out shallow deposits, be of simple design and capable of remote control,
*covers
the key engineering design issues which are important in meeting 1,2 &3.

In short, the most control over hydrates achievable is to actively harvest
and use the gas. *Capping off an ebullition field, at any level, is no more
than trying to put the the egg back together once it's an omelette.* Dr.
Salter's concept is well suited for the idealized flat floor, can be
modified to go after shallow hydrates and would cover a good deal of space.
However, a smaller and more agile harvesting tool, which could act as
outriggers to his sheet or stand alone gear, may be worth developing. I
believe speed and ease of use are priorities.

Once a robust means to harvest the hydrates is developed, the exact use of
the gas can be worked out and, as the ESAS is shallow, I see no problems
with placing large collections of bioreactors and storage barges on the
floor.

I would like to see a $5M X Prize sponsored for this area of concern. I
believe even a minor degree of the potential commercialization rights of
this type of project would provide a healthy return for the sponsor(s).

*The Hydrate Challenge* should be given priority within the GE field and
the general GW issue.

Beat,

Michael