Dr.  Schulling etal

    1.  I support the use of olivine to the maximum extent possible.

    2.   But, maybe naively, I still am persuaded by the arguments of Jim
Hansen and Bill McKibben that we have to get back to 350 ppm CO2 (or lower).
Better that we do that sooner than later, by all accounts - so I am unable to
accept the "impossible" view in your first sentence.  Yours is too close to
being a self-fulfilling prophecy.

   3.   I have worked in various RE fields for 40 years, and see several
already cheaper than fossils - even before we include externalities -
especially in India and China.  Those two countries are more apt to lead the
way on RE, than hold us back globally.  China is already the global RE leader,
putting both the US and the EU to shame.  Two-thirds of all solar thermal
systems are in China, for instance.   The world view on the economics of RE and
fossils has probably changed a lot since your talk "a few years ago" in India.

   4.   But my main new message follows from the start of this thread, which
began with the subject of a lack of a transportation liquid fuels alternative,
through myself and Drs.  Rau and Caldeira.  I noted that the company "Cool
Planet" (CPES) was both projecting a very attractive price for drop-in (carbon
neutral ) biofuels from decentralized small refineries and providing a (carbon
negative) CDR biochar product as well.

   5.  New:   over the past weekend, there was a lot of press in the state of
Louisiana that CP is opening three such refineries there in the next few years.
 Total investment a few hundred million dollars - not huge in fuel-worlds, but
pretty big for the technologies this list talks about.  They plan 2000 such
refineries in just the USA.  Biofuels should be cheaper near the equator - so
this is just a beginning announcement.  For details on this first (to my
knowledge) Federal incentive-free private sector incursion into a field
heretofore the purview of the fossil fuel folk, see (among many) this two day
old news release

http://www.biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2013/08/25/cool-planet-to-invest-168m-in-louisiana-stealthy-biotechnology-heads-for-scale/

  6.   The bottom of the diagram near the beginning of the above article shows
that CDR  (biochar) is a key part of the process.  Olivine and biochar can work
well together to improve NPP and alleviate hunger (the upper right part of this
figure explaining a new form of pyrolysis), while also performing the CDR
portion of this list.

Ron