Ken Caldeira writes, plausibly, that: "for most, researching
 'geoengineering' is an expression of despair at the fact that others are
unwilling to do the hard work of reducing emissions".  NPR aired an
interview with David Keith a month ago:  Keith spoke of something else:  "*
we're* *hiding a genuine*, *and I think not-wrong joy* in the fact that we
understand something about the world that potentially gives us the ability
to do these things".

I wonder if a researcher, in despair after finding patients would not
follow his direction and be cured, could find joy after discovering the
potential of palliative care.

Types like Klein might have a better chance at understanding what is going
on if people didn't "hide" anything.

The NPR webpage describing the David Keith interview is
*here<http://www.npr.org/2013/08/09/209191273/can-hacking-the-stratosphere-solve-climate-change>
*

An NPR transcript of the interview is
*here<http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=209191273>