To answer the title's question why GE - I can't speak for the IPCC authors, but
it is clear the other approaches aren't getting the job done, thus other
intervention concepts must now be considered. With all due respect to efforts
(and recently here in this group) to define and use the term geoengineering, I
think it very unfortunate to call CDR "engineering" since it implies existing,
established, off-the-self scientific and engineering knowledge that can be
applied to the problem rather than ideas or concepts whose safety, cost, and
effectiveness of application are poorly understood and need considerably more
scientific, social, and economic research before they can even be considered
for application.

I think that the preceding is the root of much of the pushback on concepts
lumped under geoengineering (ETC, etc): the false impression that such methods
are established engineering ready to be unleashed on the world by its
clandestine practitioners, when in fact this is at best a nascent science that
has yet to be fully applied in addressing the critical questions about safety,
capacity, cost, social and environmental benefit, etc. For obvious reason,
"geoscience" doesn't fill the bill as an umbrella term either since it is used
in other contexts.

In any case I have abandoned the use of geoengineering in my writing and
presentations in favor of terms that more specifically describe the CO2
management concepts under discussion, and I most certainly will not mention CDR
and SRM concepts in the same breath due to their very different approaches to
different problems - climate vs CO2.  In any case I am very glad that CDR is
finally and officially on the table, hopefully as a topic of research and not
one of engineering (yet).

Greg