From: "Ronal W. Larson" <rongretlar...@comcast.net>
Sender: geoengineering@googlegroups.com
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 19:21:14
To: Greg Rau<gh...@sbcglobal.net>
Cc: r...@llnl.gov<r...@llnl.gov>;
andrew.lock...@gmail.com<andrew.lock...@gmail.com>;
geoengineering<geoengineering@googlegroups.com>;
n...@etcgroup.org<n...@etcgroup.org>; j...@etcgroup.org<j...@etcgroup.org>;
sil...@etcgroup.org<sil...@etcgroup.org>; k...@etcgroup.org<k...@etcgroup.org>
Subject: Re: [geo] Why has geoengineering been legitimised by the IPCC?

Greg etal

   This in response to your "fill me in otherwise"   below:

   I still think that Afforestation is being so thoroughly practiced now
globally that "deploying at a significant scale"  should need little global
pre-arrangement.  An RFP following an announcement with conditions and
available funding per tree or hectare would likely overwhelm the sponsor.  I
heard a few months ago that every Chinese school child is expected to plant 5
trees per year (I don't know how any of your (quite legitimate) questions are
being answered there).  Probably almost every country has a staff of foresters
ready to go.  And I think we should start last week.

  Re biochar, there are plenty of private transactions already occurring -
almost a few with a sequestration payment.  Some are sure to be failures: wrong
char, soil, species, extras (compost, fertilizer, liming, etc) - but I put the
fault for that on the purchasers - it is very easy to do simple prior testing.
The main complaint from the few groups dissing biochar is that there is
insufficient long-term field data, so what you are asking for can be speeded
up.  I am aware of no major issue in your list below that can be handled other
than by proceeding as we are - through ever larger field testing.  Some
sequestration funding will help (a lot) to move faster.  I'd appreciate hearing
from your or anyone why accelerated testing is not the right course.  Just as
Afforestation has plenty of government foresters, biochar has soil scientists
and extension agents.

    I would not recommend any government picking a winner, so there should be
funding for the research you are after for all/most CDR candidates.  But I
think it also appropriate to have the equivalent of FITs (Feed In Tariffs) that
did a lot for PV.  The per tonne C price can be lowered regularly to match the
money available.  Proof of lifetime will be a key hurdle for biochar - maybe
for all the CDRs.

    But waiting years for all questions to be answered does not seem
appropriate.

Ron