Not only is Alan Robock right but this discussion defies all reason.  Comparing
heat without considering damage is nonsensical. Comparing the time dimension of
a nuclear weapon in which there is no time to adapt with long term impact of
climate change in which some adaptation is possible defies any logic or sense
of scientific thinking. There is no way to justify Al Gore's statement (I was
unaware he had made it) which is beyond the pale. Although I voted for him , Al
Gore has proving to be a fool.)

If this discussion does anything so far as I am concerned it is to make me very
wary of geo-engineers. To put geo-engineering in the hands of hysterical,
chicken little "the sky is falling" "experts"  is to render geo-engineering
dangerous rather than a potential fall back in case of a near-term "tipping
point".

So far as the IPCC  and budgets are concerned CO2 emissions may be bad but in
the current state of technology they are unavoidable. The world as a whole
needs growing amounts of energy. Many years ago, Marty Hoffert put together a
team to make the case that climate could not be stabilized without a
thorough-going energy technology revolution---one that would require numerous
breakthroughs. What happened? The IPCC more or less denied breakthroughs were
needed. It has overtly promoted non-hydro renewables which in their current
state cannot begin to meet the world's need for dependable, concentrated
energy. What we have seen instead is renewables growing at the expense of
nuclear energy, but failing to put a dent in the global share (of energy)
contributed by carbon (fossil) fuels. Meanwhile, CCS faces many more
technological challenges than its proponents acknowledged. Greens seem happy to
undermine nuclear at every point. So Don't blame the fossil fuel industry for
the lack of progress on low carbon-emitting energies. The IPCC and the greens
have done enormous damage to Marty's vision. The result is to provide another
"rationale" for geo-engineering: to (partially as it does not prevent emissions
from growing) make up for failure to advance on the low carbon energy
technology front.

  Sorry for the rant. I rarely "contribute" anything to the discussion, even
though I have been part of the google group (almost) since its inception. But
enough is enough!!!

    Chris Green