Without making an argument that we should never pursue any form of
geoengineering, let me note an obvious response to Oliver's arguments quoted
below.
The fact that we are already manipulating "nature" in many ways does not
support an argument that we should therefore manipulate it in all ways that
human imagination can conceive.  Our job is to exercise good judgement in
deciding where to go and where to stop.  So purely as an intellectual matter,
the option of not doing some forms of geoengineering cannot be rejected.  It is
not a valid argument to respond to criticisms of specific forms of
geoengineering by saying we already manipulate nature a lot.

(I put "nature" in quotes to start because humans are of course part of nature.
We don't act on nature; we act in nature.  But our capacity to change the
functioning of many ecosystems previously largely uninfluenced by humans, is
enormous.  The fact that we are a part of nature does mean we can argue that we
should be comfortable with any actions we take because they are "natural."
That stance conveniently would discard any responsibility we have for
considering the impacts of our actions.)

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 27, 2013, at 3:34 PM, "Ronal W. Larson"