Dear colleagues,

For the "Geoengineering Our Climate?" working paper series, Alan Robock
(Rutgers) and Ben Kravitz (PNNL) have written an opinion article *"Use of
Models, Analogs and Field-tests for Geoengineering Research"*. Below is an
excerpt from the introduction (in lieu of an abstract):

" ...How then can geoengineering be studied?  One obvious technique is to
> use global climate models (“indoor” research) to simulate various proposed
> geoengineering schemes, such as adding aerosols to the stratosphere to
> reflect incoming sunlight or adding sea salt to marine stratus clouds to
> brighten them.  Since these two techniques mimic volcanic eruptions and
> ship tracks, another suggestion is to study those phenomena as analogs to
> geoengineering.  There have also been several suggestions for field
> experiments, as well as some small scale tests (“outdoor” research), to
> learn about geoengineering.  In this article, we review these different
> research methods, commenting on their utility, safety, ethics, and
> governance.  We also discuss natural analogs for geoengineering, such as
> the 1991 eruption of Mt. Pinatubo and the observation of ship tracks,
> highlighting both their utility in learning about the effects of
> geoengineering and their limits in providing knowledge.  As we will
> demonstrate, geoengineering research is inseparable from climate research."

The article can be read and downloaded (as PDF) at:
http://geoengineeringourclimate.com/2013/10/29/use-of-models-analogs-and-field-tests-for-geoengineering-research/
.

Best wishes to all,

Sean Low