Dear John - Had you a technique that worked securely, quite a few people
might sleep better at night. But Ken once accused you, if I remember
correctly, of "making reckless statements," and since you don't have such a
technique, trying to speak in ways that intentionally builds a feeling of
dependency on non-existent technologies to be deployed 9 months from now
would seem to count as such.

I find it somewhat frustrating, because what you seem unwilling to do is
the >2,000 year old political strategy of "divide and conquer" as applied
to climate strategy (you're not alone in this, I might add), since whenever
you want to create this feeling of complete dependency upon geoengineering
for the near-term, you tend to revert to speaking of "emissions" as a
single lump phenomenon, and therefore hopeless, when in fact it is
virtually unquestionable that if your concerns are really so immediate,
there are 100s of shovel-ready, very practical projects involving SLCF
emissions, that no one in the world is opposed to in principal, that are
vastly under-appreciated by so many people, and that you could be helping
to accelerate enactment of, which could take out some forcing from the
Arctic more quickly than anything else. We don't really know just how much
"cooling power" would be needed to significantly improve Arctic conditions
for the near-term. There's virtually a 100% chance that what I mention
would help, though,  and might even work better than has been projected
already in the literature (i.e., in the UNEP BC/O3 study, etc.).  That's
because, I believe, the implications of the recent Cowtan & Way material is
very significant to the concerns of your group AMEG, but you've paid little
attention to it. What I mean is, there's a very close correspondence of
timing between the so-called warming "pause" and an increased acceleration
of Arctic amplification  - so poorly recorded in the primary data sets as
to virtually get rid of the pause entirely once it is corrected (see
discussion at Real Climate), which to my mind has all sorts of potential
implications about the causes of what we see happening in the Arctic - how
much is internal feedbacks, how much comes from rather rapid changes in
oceanic/atmospheric circulation, etc, and this in turn has implications for
the Flanner papers that you have so often depended upon to estimate how
much "cooling power" would be needed to help the Arctic. In short, Jim
Hansen has often said that one of hardest things is to tell a forcing from
a feedback, and I think you would need to get that straightened out first
before making such an estimate correctly....

But in the meantime, I'd just suggest concentrating a lot  more on the
things that we already are certain will work, even if they clearly can't
"solve" the problem (which, needless to say, geoengineering alone couldn't
either, even if you had that technique all ready to go....)

Best,

Nathan