- re Andrew's:  who cares?  It's the rate that does you in (largely)?

   Oreskes and Conway present their scenario in a time period, i.e. they
   are talking about rates that do you in. They're saying a high rate of
   warming caused by stopping SRM persists long enough to drive the planet's
   temperature so high so fast it triggers their "fatal chain of events' that
   ends civilization.

   No scientist has found that a high rate of change caused by removing the
   influence of SRM could possibly persist long enough to drive the planet's
   temperature up to higher than the accumulated GHG would drive it had there
   had been no SRM.

   Oreskes and Conway write as if stopping a project aimed at cooling the
   planet is a new so far not that widely known about forcing that will warm
   it, therefore, no one had better ever try to cool it.  They emphasize this
   idea by making a geoengineering-caused sudden spike in planetary
   temperature the villain in their plot, i.e. it is depicted as the trigger
   of the "fatal chain of events" that ends civilization.

   These are popular authors who made names for themselves among climate
   scientists and the general public with their last book *Merchants of
   Doubt*.  What they say might become what many end up believing, and *there
   would be another meme*.

   Oreskes and Conway present themselves as being sincerely interested that
   what they say is accurate.  Perhaps they might appreciate it if they were
   corrected.

   They've misunderstood the Ross and Matthews paper

<http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/4/4/045103/pdf/1748-9326_4_4_045103.pdf>
   they cite.  The Ross and Matthews charts illustrating some of what they
   found in their paper are below.  I drew the heavy black lines.

   The top chart is Ross and Matthews Figure 1(A) which depicts a number of
   model runs assuming a BAU emissions scenario with no geoengineering.  Each
   line is a run that assumed a different climate sensitivity.  The lower
   chart is their Figure 1(B) which depicts a similar set of model runs but
   SRM is simulated in all of them staring in 2020 and ending in 2059.  I've
   drawn the heavy vertical black line at roughly year 2064 to supposedly make
   it easier to see that the two horizontal black lines are pointing to the
   temperature the models indicate at the highest sensitivity for that year,
   i.e. 2064.  All sensitivities and all years indicate the same thing.  I.e.
   if you apply SRM and stop, whatever the sensitivity, the planet is cooler
   than it would be if you didn't apply SRM.  The planet is cooler at all
   times after you apply SRM, than it otherwise would be if you didn't apply
   SRM.

<https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-pY7kYR2bKJg/U-Rn9jZzgtI/AAAAAAAAAfs/RC5fR6AnppA/s1600/modified%2Bgraphic.jpg>