Thanks to those list readers who have replied offline. To be clear, I'm not
being a data perfectionist or crank about this issue. I do think, however,
that the substantial drawdown performed by photosynthesis each year
highlights the possibility of reversing CO2 trends.

The un-corrected data look like this:
http://d32ogoqmya1dw8.cloudfront.net/images/introgeo/interactive/examples/6yrco2.gif

The challenge, then, is obviously to draw carbon into stable compounds in
the soil which do not degrade and return to the atmosphere.  Methods for
making such sequestration work have been explored by many researchers and
farmers, and are gaining credence. One influential Australian soil
scientist, Dr. Christine Jones, describes a "liquid carbon pathway" by
which plants in synergy with fungi can store humus (composed of large
stable molecules) much deeper in soil than is generally appreciated. A good
essay of hers on making agricultural land act as a carbon sink is at:
http://www.amazingcarbon.com/PDF/JONES-SoilCarbon&Agriculture(18May10).pdf

Brian Cartwright