Hi John,

I think you may be forgetting that about half the CO2 emitted is
immediately absorbed by land and oceans.  The other half has a long
lifetime, measured in centuries (and a fraction of that measured in
millennia).  Thus reducing emissions to zero would only produce a gradual
reduction in the atmospheric CO2 level.  Therefore active CO2 removal (CDR)
is essential for quickly reducing that level to a safe value: somewhere in
mid 300s of ppm.

Cheers, John (just back from holiday and a conference on ocean
acidification)