From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com [mailto:geoengineering@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Mike MacCracken
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 4:34 PM
To: johnnissen2...@gmail.com; John Harte
Cc: Greg Rau; R.D. (Olaf)Schuiling; Geoengineering; CARTER; Oliver Tickell
Subject: Re: [geo] World Bank report highlights necessity of (BE)CCS

John H and Greg—Sorry, I’m running a bit behind. I want to go back to this
issue of how long the carbon sink in the ocean will continue at the magnitude
it is. Someone will have a good model to actually run and see, but I’m
concerned that the rate will not continue so large for so long.

So, the atmosphere works to be in equilibrium with the upper ocean
concentration, and that time constant is pretty fast (years to a decade or so).
Right now, water at low latitudes comes up supersaturated and emits CO2 to the
atmosphere as it warms, so a lower CO2 concentration in the atmosphere will
lead to increased emissions. And then as the ocean moves poleward and cools CO2
is taken up and a lower CO2 concentration in atmosphere will mean less is taken
up.

Now, the upper ocean is also seeking to reach equilibrium with the deep ocean,
and this will indeed take a long time given deep ocean circulation time is of
order 1000 years. So, the upward flux from deep ocean will continue as is
(assuming that the overturning does not change), but would not the downward
flux to the deep ocean be decreasing per discussion above? So, it seems to me,
the downward circulation aspect of the carbon cycle becomes goes down as the
atmospheric concentration stops going up.

Thus, I just don’t think it is right that one can assume the net removal rate
from the atmosphere to the ocean will persist at its current rate for well into
the future as global emissions go down (or go to zero). In the past, the net
transfer rate to the deep ocean has gone up as the atmospheric concentration
has gone up—why would it not go down as the rate of increase in the CO2 goes to
zero?

Mike