Hi Robert,

I'm sorry I've only just read the description [1], because I immediately
jumped to the conclusion that its significance was as a *champion for the
use of algae for serious CDR*, with potential to draw down more CO2 than
being emitted while 'only' using one or two percent of the planet's ocean
area.  The pump itself is almost a distraction!

However Robert appears to want to take the CO2 from concentrated sources,
such as coal-fired power stations, and use the algae to turn the CO2 into
something else.  Thus it is the carbon capture part of CCS and of
commercial interest to FF companies.  But it does not have a net effect of
reducing the CO2 in the atmosphere, as required both for reducing global
warming and staying reasonably below the 2 degree C so-called safe limit,
touted by IPCC, and for reducing ocean acidification.

I found this altercation between Michael Hayes and Robert in the comment
section [2] particular illuminating:

RT: Yes, I would love to see coal burning become ecologically sustainable
through High Efficiency Low Emission technology linked to ocean based algae
biofuel production to recycle all its produced carbon. We do have to
massively raise the bar, as Michael puts it, to exclude all denialism and
develop technology to make energy production ecologically sustainable.

MH: “As to the end strategy of bringing the FF industry to the wonderfully
idealistic paradigm shift of "turning their commercial interests, resources
and skills to advantage for new sustainable technology.": There simply is
no plausible indication within this proposal that Mr. Tulip's patented
marine bag/tidal pump technologies, nor the stated end strategy can, nor
will ever, cause, compel or lead the FF industry into a new 'kinder' profit
motive.”

I am all for algae to drawdown CO2, but they must take the CO2 out of the
atmosphere (or out of solution in water) directly rather than from a
concentrated source. And, if they also produce an edible end-product (e.g.
fish) or can be converted to a soil improver (e.g. biochar), so much the
better for feeding the world!

Cheers, John

[1]
http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/plans/-/plans/contestId/1301501/phaseId/1309178/planId/1320162