John Nissen wrote : “HiRobert,  I'm sorry I've only just readthe description
[1], because I immediately jumped to the conclusion that itssignificance was as
a champion for theuse of algae for serious CDR, with potential to draw down
more CO2 thanbeing emitted while 'only' using one or two percent of the
planet's ocean area.The pump itself is almost a distraction!”

RT:Many thanks John for your comments here. You are correct that the Tidal Pump
is almost a distraction.  I have focused on it in order to suggest atangible
incremental practical step towards the big idea of ocean based algaeproduction
to remove carbon dioxide.  Imet Australia’s CSIRO national algae biofuel
experts, and this proof of initialtechnology concept approach was the process
they suggested, which I agree with.  Even if tidal pumping proves to be only
partof the picture, I hope it kickstarts discussion of how large scale ocean
basedalgae production can become possible using a range of pumping and other
methods.

JN: “However Robert appears towant to take the CO2 from concentrated sources,
such as coal-fired powerstations, and use the algae to turn the CO2 into
something else. Thus it is thecarbon capture part of CCS and of commercial
interest to FF companies. But itdoes not have a net effect of reducing the CO2
in the atmosphere, as requiredboth for reducing global warming and staying
reasonably below the 2 degree Cso-called safe limit, touted by IPCC, and for
reducing ocean acidification.”

RT: In fact the mainconcentrated source that I suggest is the Gorgon Liquefied
Natural Gas projectwhich plans to geosequester 3000 tonnes of CO2 every day as
part of its $50billion investment, which is Australia’s biggest ever project.
My reason for taking this approach is thatif algae biofuel can be made
profitable for the fossil fuel industry, it willpresent a critical path towards
scaling up the technology to mine carbon from the air and sea.

JN: “I found this altercation between Michael Hayes andRobert in the comment
section [2] particular illuminating: RT: Yes, I wouldlove to see coal burning
become ecologically sustainable through HighEfficiency Low Emission technology
linked to ocean based algae biofuelproduction to recycle all its produced
carbon. We do have to massively raisethe bar, as Michael puts it, to exclude
all denialism and develop technology tomake energy production ecologically
sustainable. MH: “As to the end strategy ofbringing the FF industry to the
wonderfully idealistic paradigm shift of"turning their commercial interests,
resources and skills to advantage fornew sustainable technology.": There simply
is no plausible indicationwithin this proposal that Mr. Tulip's patented marine
bag/tidal pumptechnologies, nor the stated end strategy can, nor will ever,
cause, compel orlead the FF industry into a new 'kinder' profit motive.””

RT: Thanks John for drawing attention to this debate.  I find it interesting
that Michael links toNASA research on offshore membranes (OMEGA) but argues
that use of plastic bagsat sea is impractical.  This is clearly aquestion in
need of much more research. My suggestion of public private partnership is
obviously one that willrankle with the more left wing end of the climate
science community, but asnoted above in my comments about Gorgon, I think it is
the only way to achieverapid results at scale.  My perception isthat debate on
these topics often involves many unstated assumptions, which Isuggest should be
brought into the open.

JN: “I am all for algae to drawdown CO2, but they must takethe CO2 out of the
atmosphere (or out of solution in water) directly ratherthan from a
concentrated source. And, if they also produce an edibleend-product (e.g. fish)
or can be converted to a soil improver (e.g. biochar),so much the better for
feeding the world! Cheers, John [1]
http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/plans/-/plans/contestId/1301501/phaseId/1309178/planId/1320162
  [2]
http://climatecolab.org/web/guest/plans/-/plans/contestId/1301501/phaseId/1309178/planId/1320162/tab/COMMENTS”

RT: You are jumping to the end goal while ignoring the needfor a practical way
to get from here to there. Algae technology has to grow in stages, funded by
commercialprofit.  That means use of concentratedsources.  I had a similarly
lively debateon that issue with an algae scientist who maintained that cost of
and access toCO2 was a primary constraint.  My pointis that the scale of the
Gorgon geosequestration plan provides an abundant free sourceof concentrated
CO2, linked to strong capacity and incentives.  Link to HELE coalplants is a
possible subsequent step, as are direct air capture, etc. Coal and gas willbe
big whatever we do, and we should look to removing their waste carbon from
theair and sea at point of emission by reprocessing into useful products
usingalgae.

Thanks again and best regards

Robert Tulip

[...]

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 2:04 AM, 'Robert Tulip' via geoengineering