John, list  et al:

Your diagram is helpful.

But I hope we can have further discussion on the time relationships between your 3 parts of carbon exchange (positive, neutral and negative).  I can almost believe the 2030 date in column M for 70% reduction in fossil emissions (combination of renewables and efficiency growing by about that much ).  That, assuming we are now emitting about 10 Gt C/yr,  would leave about 3 Gt C/yr emitted and about 1.5 Gt C/yr staying in the atmosphere (the remainder going mostly to the oceans).  The needed separate renewables and efficiency (carbon neutral) portions can be guesstimated now - and I will try to look that up.  Maybe a large carbon fee (don’t use the word  ”tax” in the USA) could pull off your 2030 date - but we certainly aren’t heading that way now.

In columns I and J, you ask for removal “twice as fast as emitted”  in 2030 - or removal of about 2*3 = 6 Gt C/yr.    I will assume you meant twice initial (not final, after including oceans) removal, which would get us down to a needed carbon negativity of 2*1.5 = 3 Gt C/yr.  This to be done via the range of CDR options near the bottom rows - where the present removal is only a relatively small amount via afforestation and perhaps REDD+. For the latter two sinks, maybe 10’s or hundreds of Mt C/yr - but certainly not yet 1 Gt C/yr.   I think biochar is moving faster than any of the other main CDR approaches, but probably not yet even at 1 Mt C/yr.

One beauty of the Oceans approach emphasized by Bhaskar is that the biomass growth can be much faster than on land - and there are enormous areas available.  But one needs to do something with that (temporarily) removed ocean carbon; transferring to land as biochar makes sense.  Afforestry takes much longer, because of lower photosynthesis conversion efficiency.  Biochar could rely mostly on annual or short rotation crops, but it will take considerable time to build up both the conversion complexes and the base of eventual soil depositories.

All this to urge reconsidering the column I-J entry.  Additionally, I think it would be easier to equate the two directions of carbon movement - rather than your present doubling.  So assuming only equality of positive and negative carbon annual flows, we can remove another factor of two and hope for a carbon negative flow of 1.5 Gt C/yr by 2030.  This I believe might be possible with afforestation - since Dr. Hansen has assumed something even larger (I recollect maybe 4 Gt C/yr?) before Hansen’s annual sequestration plateaus.  At 10 t C/ha-yr in 2030, one would need (1500 Mt C/yr)/(10 t C/ha-yr) = 150 Mha under active new forest management  (and much less if the “Bhaskar-oceans” are contributing in 2030).   This land area is not an outrageous number (although very large - and can grow)

So far, I have modified John’s scenario two ways - so with his scenario,  the land area could be 2 or 4 times larger (I am trying for the smallest possible number in 2030.  Could John explain why he chose the word “double” in 2030?  I think it much easier to visualize that year when the positive and negative annual curves cross.  I am advocating that the choice for 2030 be based (for simplicity) on terms that leave the (huge) ocean influence out of the numerical aspirations.  To repeat - the computations should emphasize (as John’s do) what society does in Gt C/yr, not what is happening in the atmosphere (Gt C or ppm CO2), which is slower (because of ocean capture).

I started this small exercise thinking only about it having little chance - but have changed my mind based on the afforestation and ocean options John has postulated.  No existing biochar model comes close to doing this much by 2030.  Biochar will be an added “wrinkle” that assures use of the needed biomass also for energy - to be back-up for the aggressive non-dispatchable wind and solar carbon neutral options John is assuming.  Managing above ground biomass should not cause any loss of annual carbon negativity - since that can be balanced by biochar-caused out-year increased NPP.

I wonder if anyone knows of a simple model that could further justify John’s numbers.  I have one in mind, but only know its outputs, not yet its inner workings.   It is important that we interested in both halves of geoengineering fill in more of the time history that John has (helpfully) hinted at above - especially emphasizing his key year 2030.

Ron