I agree with Greg. This article's dismissal of negative emissions options
as a moral hazard is very discouraging. Yes, "mitigation obstruction" is a
possible consequence of serious engagement with negative emissions options.
But it is certainly elitist, and possibly unethical, for environmental
scientists to take it upon themselves to decide which information about
climate change options should and shouldn't be withheld from policymakers
and the public for their own good. If nothing else, that patronizing and
elitist approach to climate change research confirms the narrative of
hard-right conservative political groups that decry climate scientists for
conspiring to deceive the public. After all, deciding to suppress negative
emissions research and therefore withhold information about negative
emissions options from the public for fear of how they will react IS
EXACTLY conspiring to deceive them!

Moreover, this ignores the very pressing concern that it possible, if not
quite likely, that emissions reduction alone is actually insufficient to
achieve either the Paris objectives or even less ambitious targets to
forestall substantial climate change impacts. It also ignores the even more
salient fact that there is little or no evidence that most societies (or
indeed any at all!) are up to the challenge of actually reducing their
emissions to the extent that even the most optimistic projects would
require.

I see this as a pure case of technological denialism at work. See my recent
essay here for details:

http://www.adamdorr.com/essays/environmentalism-and-technological-denialism/

--
Adam Dorr
University of California Los Angeles School of Public Affairs