Michael

You ask: "How can producing enough biofuel to displace FFs to a large
degree, or adjusting the pH of wide areas of the oceans, or moving vast
amounts of sustainable marine carbon into the terrestrial space via 'Blue
Biochar', or producing protein at the most efficient level, or producing
globally significant amounts of freshwater (etc.) [be] a moral hazard?

If you talk about it well enough to allow people, who may be otherwise
motivated to do so, to act as if you will do it, and then you don't.

On Thursday, 20 October 2016 06:13:49 UTC+1, Michael Hayes wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I believe that the misconceptions about carbon negative technologies are
> getting so far out of hand in the media, and even in peer reviewed papers,
> that a strong statement needs to be made to the press (and or to a peer
> reviewed journal) concerning the common errors being cemented into the
> CDR/BECCS/CCUS literature.
>
> As an example of a common misconception; Growing biomass for bioenergy is
> routinely pointed out as being too problematic as it will crowd out food
> crops, use too much water, and take way too long to scale up (etc.). This
> line of logic is constantly being inserted into the criticism of
> CDR/BECCS/CCUS yet no author that I know of has realized, much less pointed
> out, that by growing biomass in the marine space (which has happened on
> this planet once or twice before), using currently available STEM in
> innovative ways (which has also happened on this planet once or twice
> before), makes most if not all objections to biomass production for
> CDR/BECCS/CCUS largely moot.
>
> As Greg and others have pointed out for years, the marine space offers
> vast scale renewable resources in terms of making a reasonable impact upon
> the carbon cycle, the pH of the oceans, and even...if we actually have
> to...the production of renewable energy. Attaching to those important
> production needs the production of food, feed, fertilizer, biochar,
> polymers and even freshwater is easily achieved...It's called routine
> engineering!
>
> Moral Hazard??? How can producing enough biofuel to displace FFs to a
> large degree, or adjusting the pH of wide areas of the oceans, or moving
> vast amounts of sustainable marine carbon into the terrestrial space via
> 'Blue Biochar', or producing protein at the most efficient level, or
> producing globally significant amounts of freshwater (etc.) a moral
> hazard??? We, at this time, can do those things and much more if provided
> the funding!
>
> Attaching the Moral Hazard argument to such activities is much like
> arguing against using eunuchs as school crossing guards as
> they...*might*...be
> pedophiles. We need school crossing guards, eunuchs or not, far more than
> we need paranoia and confusion in extremis.
>
> Bucky Fuller once stated:
>
> *“There is no energy crisis, food crisis or environmental crisis. This is
> only a crisis of ignorance.”* I assume he did intend that statement to be
> understood in a non-pejorative spirit yet I sometimes truly wonder about
> the validity of my assumption.
>
> Best,
>
> Michael
>

> On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 12:46:49 PM UTC-7, Greg Rau wrote:
>>
>> To quote the article's conclusion:
>> "Negative-emission technologies are not an insurance policy, but rather
>> an unjust and high-stakes gamble. There is a real risk they will be unable
> [...]
*This e-mail may contain confidential material. If you are not an intended
recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies. It may also
contain personal views which are not the views of The Economist Group. We
may monitor e-mail to and from our network.*

*Sent by a member of The Economist Group. The Group's parent company is The
Economist Newspaper Limited, registered in England with company number
236383 and registered office at 25 St James's Street, London, SW1A 1HG. For
Group company registration details go to http://legal.economistgroup.com
<http://legal.economistgroup.com> *