I think this statement by Anderson and Peters in response to our comment
deserves unpacking:
"We stand by our claim that postulatinglarge-scale negative emissions in
thefuture leads to much less mitigation today.Negative emissions facilitate the
appealingoption (10) of exceeding tight carbonbudgets and assuming that the
debt willbe paid back later. I f we cannot pay backour carbon debt because the
negativeemissionstechnologies do not deliver asplanned, then we have saddled
the vulnerableand future generations with the temperatures we seek to avoid in
the ParisAgreement. To use the analogy of Lackneret al., we knowingly let
someone jumpinto a raging torrent, telling them we maybe able to save them with
a technology wehave yet to develop."
GR By the same token, by marginalizing if not demonizing CDR today, we are
making an increasingly risky gamble that emissions reduction will
singlehandedly solve the problem tomorrow. Most models/experts agree that
sufficient emissions reduction alone is now very unlikely to occur in time if
our target is <=2degC warming. Doesn't the single minded focus on emissions
reduction then present a moral hazard to attempts to develop now-necessary CDR?
And isn't it best to find out sooner rather than later whether or not we have
any adequate CDR options?
I don't think the life preserve analogy is quite correctly used in either camp.
We are not letting anyone jump into a raging torrent, but agree with A&P that
we also don't know if the life preserver actually works. Ditto for "arrows in
the quiver". How about this "moral hazard" play?:
A group of people are stranded on an island with the water rapidly rising (due
an unforeseen glitch in the GW sea level rise model), but within swimming
distance of the mainland. No one knows how to swim except a few have some idea
how to do it.  The majority agrees that in the time remaining (weeks) they
should try to learn to swim. But a few in the group point out that the island
is forested and some have heard about rafts. They propose trying to build one.
"That would be very risky," said the leader: "1) How are you going to cut down
the trees?, 2) some wood species don't float, 3) if we tie the logs together
with those vines, they might break, and 4)  by fooling around with unproven
raft technology you risk not  learning how to swim."
"But we will not be learning to swim 24/7, and could do the raft R&D during the
periods when we are not in the water," retorted the tiny minority.
"We're not going to think about rafts for the reasons previously stated, plus
it will be way more manly to swim," was the (sexist) reply.
So they commenced swimming lessons, but many were soon distracted. It was way
more fun to just wade around in the warm water.  Additionally, some very
influential individuals (who had a lucrative side business selling beach mats
to the group) pointed out, "Out bodies are composed of 98% water.  We drink
water.  Water is vital to life and a good thing.  Besides, God will take care
of us.  We therefore don't need to learn to swim, and we should be doing more
lounging on the beach enjoying the (increasingly) warm weather that God has
provided."
Long story short - few learned to swim and even fewer made it to the mainland.
Logs from the now sunken island forest eventually began floating onto the
mainland beach where the survivors were now encamped.
Moral: Do not ignore or downplay potentially useful actions, especially if you
have the time and resources to carefully evaluate them.