Hi All,

I am astonished at the lack of courtesy, also in a scientific manner,
here. Before suggesting that IPCC has made a 'blunder', or that someone
who defends the AR5 report uses 'weasel words' it would be helpful going
back to the sources. The figure in the AR5 is taken from Cao and
Caldeira (2010) and shows the results of idealized experiments with a
global carbon cycle and climate model, where no such thing has been
committed as to 'ignore the warming effect of accumulated CO2'. The
model solves for the carbon balance, so there is no way how the
accumulated carbon (and hence its warimg effect) could have vanished.
One might criticise the model for being overly simplistic, but a simple
'blunder' it certainly isn't.

Best regards, Christoph

Am 15/11/16 um 10:47 schrieb Stephen Salter:

> Hi All
>
> "Approximately" is the weasel word.
>
> Stephen
>

> On 15/11/2016 08:39, Olivier Boucher wrote:
>>

>> Dear John,
>> there is no blunder here. This is an idealized scenario. If CO2
>> emissions go to zero abruptly (red curve), then the committed warming
>> (ie the warming in the pipeline because the ocean hasn't equilibrated
>> yet) is approximately compensated by the decrease in CO2 emissions
>> induced by zero emissions (because natural sinks to vegetation and
>> ocean keep working).
>> Regards,
>> Olivier
>>> *Blunder 2*. IPCC has ignored the warming effect of accumulated
>>> CO2.  They say that global temperature rise will be halted when net
>>> CO2 emissions have fallen to zero, ignoring the effect of
>>> accumulated CO2 and other forcing agents in the atmosphere.
>>
>> --

Christoph Voelker
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research
Am Handelshafen 12
27570 Bremerhaven, Germany
e: christoph.voel...@awi.de
t: +49 471 4831 1848