Peter

I’m sorry you’re frustrated. I don’t think your interpretation is entirely
fair.

It would be ridiculous to claim that solar geoengineering is “necessary”.

I did not make that claim here and I believe I’ve been consistent on this
over years in writing and speaking. I don’t believe I said anything to
contradict that view in this interview. It’s true I did not specifically
say in this interview that this was not true. But note that this interview
this was tightly edited and omitted many things I often say about
governance and about context including mitigation and carbon removal. For a
longer unedited video that does mention carbon removal see:
https://www.technologyreview.com/video/609398/the-growing-case-for-geoengineering/

I have been clear consistently that solar geoengineering has substantial
risks, that it is, at best, a partial supplement to emissions reductions.

Here’s how I see the trade-off between emissions reductions, carbon
removal, and solar geoengineering.

Emissions reductions are necessary if we want a stable climate. If we try
to continue emissions and offset them with increasing solar geoengineering
the world will walk further and further away from the current climate with
higher and higher risks. One could, in principle get a stable climate, by
continuing emissions and offsetting them with carbon removal. But I fail to
see why it would make economic or environmental sense to have massive
carbon removal (with its attendant costs and environmental impacts) while
we still have massive emissions. If there is truly a low impact way to do
carbon removal that is significantly cheaper than emissions reductions,
then I would change my view on this. (Yes, I know you believe you can do
carbon removal at some low number like 30 or $50 a ton. I truly hope you’re
correct. I simply haven’t seen the evidence yet.)

While emissions are high I don’t believe there is a meaningful distinction
between emissions mitigation and carbon removal. The climate can’t tell the
difference between a ton not emitted in a ton emitted and recaptured. So,
while emissions are high, I think we should only put significant effort
into large-scale deployment of carbon removal if it is cheaper than other
methods of reducing emissions, or if it has lower environmental impacts and
roughly the same cost.

Once emissions get down towards zero carbon removal provides a unique
ability to reduce concentrations. Once emissions get to zero carbon removal
can do something that can’t be done by emissions mitigation or solar
geoengineering. That’s part of the reason I’m very proud to have worked on
carbon removal from my early work on BECCS (early papers, first PhD of the
topic) to my work at Carbon Engineering). I would therefore like to see
serious effort to developing carbon removal even if it is not now cheaper
or otherwise better than emissions reduction. And serious development will
entail limited deployment. It makes sense to do this during the time
emissions are high to buy the option for net negative emissions once
emissions get towards zero.

Finally, solar geoengineering may provide a way to substantially reduce
climate risks during a carbon concentration peak. A peak defined by
continued positive emissions on the front and by carbon removal on the far
side.

Finally, note that, contrary to your assertion, solar geoengineering does
in fact provide some significant reduction in carbon concentrations
<ure.com/articles/nclimate3376.epdf?author_access_token=LJ7xrnEo6oZoRNRYgu7btNRgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0NZqUjovChb9EdabCEcR6GuvZkepQXaPwfxVdn3_EQ1onk9bPWOsX7ETCUW7OvjKbM7syCkanNFs4sG07XAXjcx>.

Peter, I think were roughly on the same side.

I think the work you’re doing is terrific.

Yours,
David

N.B., I am not subscribed to this list so please email me or post on
twitter if you want to continue the conversation.