*This item and others will be in the monthly “Solar Geoengineering Updates
Substack” newsletter:* https://solargeoengineeringupdates.substack.com/

https://arxiv.org/abs/2310.08495

*Authors*
Katherine Goode, Daniel Ries, Kellie McClernon

*12 October 2023*

*Abstract*
The 2022 National Defense Strategy of the United States listed climate
change as a serious threat to national security. Climate intervention
methods, such as stratospheric aerosol injection, have been proposed as
mitigation strategies, but the downstream effects of such actions on a
complex climate system are not well understood. The development of
algorithmic techniques for quantifying relationships between source and
impact variables related to a climate event (i.e., a climate pathway) would
help inform policy decisions. Data-driven deep learning models have become
powerful tools for modeling highly nonlinear relationships and may provide
a route to characterize climate variable relationships. In this paper, we
explore the use of an echo state network (ESN) for characterizing climate
pathways. ESNs are a computationally efficient neural network variation
designed for temporal data, and recent work proposes ESNs as a useful tool
for forecasting spatio-temporal climate data. Like other neural networks,
ESNs are non-interpretable black-box models, which poses a hurdle for
understanding variable relationships. We address this issue by developing
feature importance methods for ESNs in the context of spatio-temporal data
to quantify variable relationships captured by the model. We conduct a
simulation study to assess and compare the feature importance techniques,
and we demonstrate the approach on reanalysis climate data. In the climate
application, we select a time period that includes the 1991 volcanic
eruption of Mount Pinatubo. This event was a significant stratospheric
aerosol injection, which we use as a proxy for an artificial stratospheric
aerosol injection. Using the proposed approach, we are able to characterize
relationships between pathway variables associated with this event.

*Source: ArXiv*