*This item and others will be in the monthly “Solar Geoengineering Updates
Substack” newsletter:* https://solargeoengineeringupdates.substack.com/

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU24/EGU24-6144.html

*Authors*
Olivier Boucher, Anni Määttänen, Thibaut Lurton, and François Ravetta

*How to cite*: Boucher, O., Määttänen, A., Lurton, T., and Ravetta, F.:
Idealized modeling of uncooperative two-actor SRM deployment, EGU General
Assembly 2024, Vienna, Austria, 14–19 Apr 2024, EGU24-6144,
https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu24-6144, 2024.

*Abstract*
Potential SRM deployment scenarios are increasingly discussed in the
literature and an effort to construct plausible scenarios is underway in
the scientific community. Such deployment scenarios underpin the design of
possible governance mechanisms of SRM. A wide range of possible scenarios
can be envisaged, including unilateral deployment by one actor,
uncooperative multi-actor deployment, global centralized deployment or a
global moratorium. In order to inform the current dialogue on governance,
we explore in this work the behavior of a system where two uncooperative
actors deploy SRM. We rely on a simple four-box climate model that responds
to stratospheric aerosol injection (SAI) in the northern and southern
hemispheres, including the oceanic response. The stratospheric aerosol
optical depth has been parameterized with impulse response functions fitted
on IPSL-CM6A-LR runs with injections at different latitudes. We couple this
model to a control module in order to investigate different controlled SRM
deployment strategies, reflecting potential governance scenarios. The two
actors inject varying amounts of aerosols in the stratosphere to reach
their own climate target which is unknown by the other actor. The climate
target can be a temperature target (change of the temperature with respect
to the initial state) or a monsoon target (variability of the monsoon
index). Depending on the objectives and the characteristics of the
deployment strategies by the two actors, we construct several experiments
that result in i) involuntary cooperation between the two actors, ii)
conflicting behaviors, or ii) one actor taking advantage of the other (free
riding). We have also constructed experiments mimicking political
decision-making timescales and potential perceived failure of SRM, causing
more or less random interruptions of the injections. Although the scenarios
are highly idealized and do not represent a realistic implementation of
SRM, they help to understand the potential, synergies, risks and challenges
of a decentralized, uncooperative deployment of SRM. We will discuss how
the analysis of this type of experiments can inform the discussion on
potential SRM governance strategies. Our future plans include adding a
parametrization of the sea level rise and of ocean acidification into the
model to investigate the behavior of these parameters as a result of the
different SRM deployment and governance strategies. The simple model could
also be used for educational purposes, for example to inform and to train
decision-makers on SRM climate intervention and its effects and
consequences.

*Source: EGU GENERAL ASSEMBLY*